Rebecca, I’m honored to be the first to share my thoughts here. I consider you a very close friend, and I have tremendous respect for you—both as an advocate and as a person. Creating this space was thoughtful, necessary, and very much needed.
My own lived experience with serious illness and the healthcare system is what led me to advocacy. I am on a timeline similar to yours, with my formal rollout planned in approximately three weeks. At the same time, I struggle with significant pain every day. Some days, simply getting through the day while continuing to build my practice and seek work takes everything I have.
That is what I would welcome discussing here: how those of us who are both advocates and patients keep moving forward professionally while being honest about our own pain, limitations, and changing capacity. Our experiences make this work deeply personal, but they also give us insight, empathy, and determination that cannot be learned from a textbook.
Thank you, Rebecca, for recognizing the need for this conversation and for having the courage to begin it.
I am new as well to Advocacy but 40 years previous business knowledge. That is I owned my own place during that time. It would be easier for you to just call me at 513-673-6987
Welcome and Good luck with BCPA exam. I sat for it 2-30-2026 and I failed, I missed by (3) points. So if you are lookin for a study buddy. I am here, will re sit for exam this fall. Again welcom!!!
My own lived experience with serious illness and the healthcare system is what led me to advocacy. I am on a timeline similar to yours, with my formal rollout planned in approximately three weeks. At the same time, I struggle with significant pain every day. Some days, simply getting through the day while continuing to build my practice and seek work takes everything I have.
That is what I would welcome discussing here: how those of us who are both advocates and patients keep moving forward professionally while being honest about our own pain, limitations, and changing capacity. Our experiences make this work deeply personal, but they also give us insight, empathy, and determination that cannot be learned from a textbook.
Thank you, Rebecca, for recognizing the need for this conversation and for having the courage to begin it.
DJB
DJB
D. John Bishop
jbishop@awcinci.com